Thursday, July 22, 2010

How and why the B letter has been chosen for naming the magnetic field?

Hi tullio, SKH provides an intriguing explanation for the use of the letter B for magnetic fields, however this does not explain why the letter H is also used for magnetic fields.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_fi



Therefore, I am sure that the letter B was not chosen in honour of Mr Biot, in fact, I believe it was used long before the Biot-Savart Law was described. I will add to this once I find the origin for B and H. I suspect they are the first letters for something magnetic in a foreign language.



Stay tuned....



Edit. Well, I suspect that the letter B was selected because the field lines always point towards the North Pole and the word for

No comments:

Post a Comment

Science & Mathematics